Thursday, January 31, 2008

End of first semester

We are reaching the end of first semester and after tomorrow I will get a whole new batch of students to teach about the library and how it works. I will miss a few of my questioning or helpful students. There are one or two I will not miss, as they have to be prodded repeatedly to do anything at all. I had at least three students who stopped completing assignments a few weeks befreo the semester ended and dropped to a C in my class. I had no As for final grades; a disappointing statistic. However, most of my students leave me with knowledge of where the sourcess are, how to get to them and cite them, and how to maintain a library in good order. Most can process a new book and shelve it. A few know how to find other titles online and which book jobbers I recommend. They all know about more databases than they did when they started. Now if I can just reach a few teachers...
We'll be half way through the school year on Monday and expect over 3,000 new books on Friday for my new students and I to unpack, organize and shelve. Life is good. Happy February all.

1 comment:

Library Lady said...

Happy February to you, too!

I am wondering how many students work in your library. I only have one or two per period and they stay all year. By this time in the year, they are really helpful. Most of them say it is their favorite period of the day. It would be really hard to get along without them. And I have a full time library technician, too.